Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:40:56 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

> * Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> [001109 11:11] wrote:
> >
> >     I'd recommend against the linux /lib + /usr/lib model, it's a big
> >     mess.  I don't see much of a point in cutting the size of /bin and
> >     /sbin down, they are already fairly small (3.8M and 10M) and it
> >     isn't as though we need the disk space!  The static nature of
> >     /bin and /sbin have saved me more times then I can remember.  I also
> >     have unfond memories of blowing /lib up under linux and not being
> >     able to do anything.
>
> root on a Linux box is unable to do squat when the machine is almost
> out of memory because he can't map in /lib/libc.so to run 'ps' or
> even another copy of bash.

Um.  And root on a BSD box is equally screwed when there's no memory left
to map in the text segment of 'ps' which just happens to contain another
copy of libc.

The difference being that if libc is shared, it's already mapped in for
the hundreds of other programs using it, so you're *better* off, not
worse.