Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:52:04 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dtalk-ml@prairienet.org
Subject:   Clock too fast?

>Thank you for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I've been through all
>that, including the rude values of minpoll and maxpoll, using multiple
>servers, and starting with a fresh drift file.  I'm pretty sure ntpd
>isn't the problem.  In addition, the hardware clock itself appears to be
>plenty accurate, as it is always correct within a second or two when I
>check it directly in BIOS ... and two other 5.3-STABLE hosts on the same
>network, with the same ntpd configuration, but on different hardware, do
>not have this problem, which began when I updated (reinstalled) to
>5.3-STABLE from 5.2.

[503] Thu 30.Dec.2004 16:51:10 [kadmin@archangel][~]
#sysctl kern.timecounter.choice
kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(800) ACPI-fast(1000) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)

Last box I had trouble like this on was K6-2/500 on Asus p5a mobo.
Setting to i8254 worked in that case.  If you've not tried all the
possibilities, do so now.

I must also say that I *think* I had a box (around PII 200) that I
never got this resolved on (but I'm not sure how hard I tried....)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey