Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:53:46 +1200
From:      Richard B Mahoney <rbm49@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        Tony Storm <tony_storm@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Subscribers to FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: XWindows Questions

Dear Tony,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:30:36PM -0800, Tony Storm wrote:

>  Alright, I just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and now have no idea how to
>  navigate through it.  The only unix I know is ls and how to use
>  pine.  Can someone please tell me where I can find resources to
>  learn the system?  How to properly shut the system down?  How to
>  get into xwindows?

>  The only thing I really know how to do is login.  Just need some
>  guidence on how to use and navigate the OS.

Its good to see that you've got so far with so little knowledge
... or are you just being modest. 8-)

Anyway, for a summary of the basic skills needed in UNIX userland
its possible you could do no better than the intro given at:

  http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/unix_course/intro-1.html

Last I heard there was a PostScript version of the same thing at:

 ftp://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/unix_course/unix_book.ps

I always have a copy to hand. I even gave a copy to my 67 year
old father. Having read it, he said it was like coming home:
memories of fun with his old PDP's had come flooding back. And
now, after years of trouble with that other OS, he is ditching it
in favour of FreeBSD.

Just an aside on how useful the book is.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
78 Jeffreys Rd                                      +64-3-351-5831