Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:31:52 -0400
From:      Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
To:        Dan Ros <dan.ros@nildram.net>
Cc:        'Adrian Penisoara' <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Subject:   Re: Controlling access at the Ethernet level

Dan Ros wrote:
> [...]

I just had a simple thought: can you just physically unplug the network
cable for the particular room from your router?  You can't steal service
w/out link.  Not as nice as a programmatic solution, but probably as
effective; I guess you'd just have to make sure each cable is labeled.

Of course, this wouldn't prevent people from giving access to the
friends next door if they have their own router.  And, I suppose, if
someone *really* wanted to steal internet access, they could open the
wall and access the incoming cable to the room next door, and install a
router secretly.

--Chris