Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:50:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mirroring one drive to another...vinum?

On Saturday, 18 September 1999 at 22:57:12 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> what I want to do is mirror da0s1a->da1s1a, da0s1?->da0s1?,
>>> etc...which, to my understanding, isn't even RAID-5, but RAID-1...
>>
>> Precisely.  What kind of plex do you want in the mirror?  Normally you
>> wouldn't use RAID-5.
>
> You lose me here...if I try to equate this to what I know, is a 'plex' the
> sam as what Solaris/Disksuite calls a 'metadevice'?

I don't know.  Judging by the name alone, it's possible, but there are
other intermediate building blocks, such as the ones IBM uses.  I
describe what a plex is in the web page you've read.

> Basically, under solaris/Disksuite, if I mirror /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1 with
> /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s1, I get /dev/md/dsk/d0...and its /dev/md/dsk/d0 that I
> mount.

If you mirror two (or more) plexes, you get a volume, and that's what
you mount.

> Under vinum, if I mirror /dev/da0s1a to /dev/da1s1a, I would get a 'plex'?

You can't mirror two drives.  You need to create subdisks.  It's all
described in the web page.

>>> 	Basically, I want to mirror my system disk to a second drive on
>>> the same size/make, so that if one dies, my whole system doesn't go
>>> poof...
>>
>> Sounds like you need concatenated plexes.
>
> Huh?  Again, its your terminology that is probably what is throwing me,
> but if I concatenate /dev/da0s1a to /dev/da1s1a, the end result is the sum
> of the two drives, where /dev/da0s1a would fill up first, then da1s1a ...
> concatenating is what I'd use with hard drives of a different size to
> combine them (ie. ccd).  If I stripe, then I do the same, but both drives
> have to be the same size (or, rather, both partitions have to be) and I
> get a performance increase since it writes  alittle to each drive to
> spread the load...

It looks like you need to read the web page.  That's what it's there
for.  I can repeat it here, but that won't help much.

> Again, my knowledge is based on how Disksuite talks about things..
>
>> 	Then gain, I just checked 'man 4 vinum', and it also states it
>> requires a minimum of 3...
>>
>> I don't see anything like that in vinum(4).
>
>          o   RAID-5 plexes require at least three equal-sized subdisks.

Ah, OK.  Note the beginning of the sentence.  It makes *no* *sense* to
have a RAID-5 plex with less than three subdisks.  This has nothing to
do with Vinum.

>>> 	Please note that my use of RAID=1 is from the Solaris/DiskSuite
>>> environment...I'm new to it with FreeBSD/Vinum :(
>>
>> You've been talking about RAID-5, which is not the same as RAID-1.  To
>> quote the web page, which is correct:
>>
>>      Vinum imposes an additional, trivial restriction: a striped plex
>>      must have at least two subdisks, since otherwise it is
>>      indistinguishable from a concatenated plex.
>>
>>      Vinum enforces a minimum of three subdisks for a RAID-5 plex,
>>      since any smaller number would not make any sense.
>>
>> There is no such restriction for concatenated plexes.
>
> Okay, we've got to be talking the same thing in two different languges :(
>
> How does this work?  If I'm understanding you correctly...if I want to do
> this, I have to "convert" /dev/da0s1a and /dev/da1s1a to "concatenated
> plexes" consisting of one subdisk each, and then I RAID-1 the two plexes
> together?

It's all in the web page.  If there's something there you don't
understand, please tell me about it.

> Or, in Disksuite-speak...convert the two subdisks to a metadevice
> considering of one device and then link'ng the two together as RAID-1...

This is getting closer.  But you don't need more than one subdisk in a
concatenated plex.

> If this is correct...is there instructions/examples on how to do thsi with
> the system disk?  ie. /?

Not possible yet.

Greg