Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:08:27 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "frag-anyways" knob.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 11:15:30AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> [sorry if you get this twice - my laptop crashed horribly]
>
> > On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 08:25:01PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > This looks good.
> > >
> > > In the PPPoE case, we need to be able to bring the program up and
> > > down based on any new MTU values negotiated by ppp(8).
> > >
> > > This could be done if tcpmssd had a ``create a pidfile'' option,
> > > where ppp.linkup could run ``tcpmssd -M IFMTU -P tcpmssd.INTERFACE.pid''
> > > and ppp.linkdown could run ``kill `cat tcpmssd.INTERFACE.pid`''.
> > >
> > > Ppp would also need to expand IFMTU in command_Expand() in command.c.
> > >
> > > Does this make sense ?  The only alternative I see is to implement
> > > this stuff in libalias and have tcpmssd use libalias.
> > >
> > Would it be enough if tcpmssd(8) could track interface MTU (kernel
> > is capable of notifying user processes about MTU changes through a
> > routing socket interface as of sys/net/if.c,v 1.83).
> >
> > usage: tcpmssd [-v] -p port [-i iface | -m mtu]
> >
> > So, if run as `tcpmssd -p 1234 -i tun0', it will peek the initial
> > MTU value on startup and then will monitor routing socket for MTU
> > changes.
>
> That sounds perfect - although I think the pidfile option would be
> nice too - for consistency.

I have put an updated version here:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ru/tcpmssd.tgz

This version supports `-i iface' option as described above, and it also
automatically creates /var/run/tcpmssd.<iface>.pid file if run with -i.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,