Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 13:14:17 -0700
From:      Russell Jackson <rjackson@cserv62.csub.edu>
To:        John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re driver problem

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 07:18:00PM +0200, John Angelmo wrote:
> It seems that the re driver has some problems on my laptop
> at "high" network and some cpu it simply just dies, you can't ping out,
> not get a new dhcp lease or anything, a reboot seems to be the only
> thing that helps...
> This problem does not occur when using a WiFi card or other NICs..
>
> from dmesg:
> re0: Reserved 0x100 bytes for rid 0x10 type 4 at 0x9000
> re0: <RealTek 8139C+ 10/100BaseTX> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem
> 0xf0018800-0xf00188ff
> irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
>

> /John

Re won't even attach on my laptop unless I hack out the diag() function.
Even after that it does the random watch dog timeout trick. Somebody
suggested that it may have to do with mbufs not being allocated
correctly. I've looked at the code, but don't have the experience with
hardware drivers to figure it out.

I've reported this problem on more than one occation. The maintainer
doesn't seem interested. He's probably too busy working on something
else.

--
Russell A. Jackson (rjackson@cserv62.csub.edu)