Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brooks Davis <brdavis@orion.ac.hmc.edu>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, tom@uniserve.com, paulo@nlink.com.br, jer@jorsm.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Matthew Hunt wrote:

> I would find it surprising if an invalid shell prevented users from
> using POP or IMAP.  Disallowing shell logins and ftp while allowing
> mail retrieval seems like a very common configuration; how would you
> propose to setup a POP server if the POP daemon checked /etc/shells?

That's a compile time option for qpopper.  U-Washington IMAP doesn't seem
to have one, which is kinda annoying.  It's very useful in some
environments since in may places, if you don't have shell we don't want
you to have anything.  I've even created an Apache module to require a
valid shell to serve a web page so all we have to do to disable an account
is change the shell.

-- Brooks