Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:46:53 -0700
From:      Manfred Antar <null@pozo.com>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron@mutex.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't log in! openpam_load_module failures on strcpy, cgetclose

At 01:35 PM 09/06/2003 -0700, Aaron Smith wrote:
>Hi everyone. login and sshd are both failing for me after a make world on
>current. I have mergemaster'd, rebuilt world, ad infinitum. I've compared
>/etc/pam.d with the source tree version and they're the same.
>
>I instrumented openpam_dynamic, and login is failing on 'strcpy':
>
>login: in openpam_dynamic(): pam_nologin.so: /usr/lib/pam_nologin.so:
>Undefined symbol "strcpy"
>login: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_nologin.so found
>login: pam_start(): system error
>
>for sshd the failure is on 'cgetclose':
>
>sshd: in openpam_dynamic(): pam_nologin.so: /usr/lib/pam_nologin.so:
>Undefined symbol "cgetclose"
>sshd: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_nologin.so found
>sshd: fatal: PAM: initialisation failed
>
>Now, there are T symbols for both of these in the respective binaries,
>according to nm (at least before they are stripped). So just in case
>stripping was an issue I figured I'd try unstripped binaries and rebuilt
>them. No luck.
>
>Can anyone help me out?
>
>Thanks,
>--Aaron

What version of bsd.lib.mk are you using ?
There was a problem with version  1.152
 From CVS log:

Emergency backout of rev 1.152.  This is a 100% guaranteed way to totally
hose your system.  You end up with just about everything statically linked
(except for libpam.so), which then causes all the pam users to fail.
eg: login, sshd, su etc all stop working because dlopen no longer works
because there is no libc.so in memory anymore.
gcc passes -L/usr/lib to ld.  The /usr/lib/libxxx.so symlink is *not* a
compatability link.  It is actually the primary link.  There should be no
symlinks in /lib at all.  Only /lib/libXX.so.Y.
peter@daintree[9:27pm]/usr/bin-104> file yppasswd
yppasswd: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.1.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
peter@daintree[9:27pm]/usr/bin-105> ldd yppasswd
yppasswd:
        libpam.so.2 => /usr/lib/libpam.so.2 (0x280d1000)
peter@daintree[9:28pm]/usr/bin-106>
Note no libc.so.5.  Hence libpam.so.2 has unresolved dependencies.
I believe this is also the cause of the recent buildworld failures when
pam_krb5.so references -lcrypto stuff etc and when librpcsvc.so references
des_setparity() etc.
This change could not possibly have worked, unless there are other missing
changes to the gcc configuration.  It won't work with ports versions of
gcc either.

You need to get 1.151 or 1.153
and rebuild world
||      null@pozo.com           ||