Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 05:20:23 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        aledm@pavilion.co.uk (Aled Morris)
Cc:        freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Platform?

>What is the perceived wisdom on PowerPC vs. Alpha (in terms of
>FreeBSD porting, obviously).
>
>Which is most likely to be easiest?  Most useful?  In progress?

   Since noone has yet done a BSD port for the PowerPC, it would be difficult
to say which is easier. There is a port to the Alpha-PC in its infancy, but
don't expect to see anything about this until the end of the year at the
earliest.

>DEC are almost giving away Alpha systems, and they do have a mean
>CPU.  Will they survive?

   DEC is doing quite well with the Alpha and I expect it will continue to
gain momentum.

>On the other hand, the Motorola PowerPC platform (PCI bus etc.) isn't
>expensive, and would make a fine BSD based server platform.  Is the
>Motorola system "standard", or will future PowerPC systems follow some
>Apple or IBM design, rendering a Motorola style system obsolete?

   You can get Apple PowerPC's, but I've not heard of any IBM-style available
yet...and I haven't heard of the "Motorola" design. I admit to not knowing a
whole lot about the PowerPC in general. I honestly think that the Alpha has
more potential than the PowerPC given the general market response to both.

>My interest is from the point of view of an Internet Service Provider
>looking for scalable, manageable platforms for Internet services (WWW,
>mail processing, etc.)  Getting a 10% CPU performance boost from Intel
>every six months isn't enough.

   Actually it's a lot more than that. The speed of Intel CPUs is supposedly
doubling every 18 months. ...but I agree that Intel is consistently behind
the performance curve compared to the Alpha or PowerPC.

>  My biggest worry is that by choosing
>FreeBSD over Sun (say) I'm losing out on that scalability (want to
>support more users on your SS20?  Easy, add more CPUs.  Full?  Go to
>a 1000).

   We're working on SMP and have a primitive SMP kernel already working. This
work will continue - with the primary goal being the support of 4 processor
P6 machines. The problem with the Sun stuff is that it is so expensive. I
think you'll find that the PC stuff, which is perhaps not as nice in many ways,
is still much cheaper in terms of dollars/MIP than Sun. I expect this to
continue well into the future.

-DG