Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:51:35 -0500
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <mldodson@houston.rr.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs and hot unplugging firewire device

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:19, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> M. L. Dodson wrote this message on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:25 -0500:
> > >
> > > The problem is that the old devices still are open for writing.. If
> > > you were to umount -f the old fs, most likely, the devices would
> > > wither away, and things would be back to normal...
> >
> > Hmmm... I just looked at the umount man page.  I guess the
> > behaviour you describe can be implied by it, but it is certainly
> > not obvious (at least to me).  So, if I understand you, if instead
> > of "umount /mnt", I do "umount -f /mnt", the behaviour will be as
> > I expected: the device will be completely unmounted and the device
> > will disappear when I pull the cable?
>
> The -f is only necessary if you've already removed the drive... You
> should be able to do a normal umount /mnt before you pull the drive
> and then everything will just work...

Then something is still not right.  I always did a umount before I
pulled the cable.  Never did I pull the cable on a mounted drive
(if I had, I would have expected a kernel panic).  So I'm still
confused.  It is true that the device (when mounted for the rsync
tests) was mounted r/w, and that was a mistake on my part.

But if I'm following this dialog correctly, I should not have had
devices such as /dev/da0s1a, b, c, d, e, f, and g survive more
than a short interval after pulling the cable.  But they did, and
when I plugged another disk in I got /dev/da0s1a, /dev/da0s1aa,
/dev/da0s1ab, /dev/da0s1ac, /dev/da0s1ad, /dev/da0s1ae,
/dev/da0s1af, /dev/da0s1ag, /dev/da0s1b, /dev/da0s1c, /dev/da0s1d,
/dev/da0s1e, /dev/da0s1f, and /dev/da0s1g.  I did not try to fsck
/dev/da0s1a?  (that would have been just too funky), but fsck
/dev/da0s1a and fsck /dev/da0s1g worked; devices /dev/da0s1d,
/dev/da0s1e, and /dev/da0s1f failed fsck with the error message
that the superblock could not found.  Does this tell you anything
new?

--
M. L. Dodson
Email:	mldodson-at-houston-dot-rr-dot-com