Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 13:54:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@cs.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-stable

I just upgraded one of our servers from 2.1.7 to 2.2.1-release
to 2.2-stable (as of 5/10/97).  Frankly, I found 2.1.7 to 2.2.1
much smaller and easier than 2.2.1 to 2.2-stable.  One build failed
because of mail group, another due to MAP_FAILED, sysconfig is
replaced by rc.conf, and login now uses login.conf.

So, this prompts a few questions:

1. Is there a Changelog kept for the 2.2-stable track?
Obviously, it's impractical to look at every file in the CVS
tree to see what has changed.  I can look at cvsup's output
to see what files have changed and then go to the CVS repository.
Is there something better?

2. Can I use cvsup to get a previous snapshot on the 2.2-stable
track?  For example, on May 20, can I ask for src-all as of May 10?
Is this possible with ctm?  I fetch the sources and rebuild only
about once a month, so I'd prefer cvsup to ctm.

3. Any more hints on login.conf?  I've read man login.conf.
How will login react to having no login.conf file, or an empty
file?  Is there a way to tell login to simply not use login.conf
(and not get "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'").   Except
for root, we get all password info via nis (from solaris).
We use des, no kerberos or skey.

--Mark Krentel
Rice University