Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:07:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using the boot loader to set maximum memory size?

> Is there any chance of extending the loader so that it can set the memory
> size, rather than hard coding it into the kernel config file? This would be
> quite useful for testing things which like a large amount of memory set aside
> exclusively for hardware's use (I'm thinking of Utah-GLX's DMA buffers for
> G400 cards here).

There are better ways to achieve that, but you can use:

        set hw.physmem=<value>                  MAXMEM (i386 only)

                Limits the amount of physical memory space available to
                the system to <value> bytes.  <value> may have a k, M or G
                suffix to indicate kilobytes, megabytes and gigabytes
                respectively.  Note that the current i386 architecture
                limits this value to 4GB.

                On systems where memory cannot be accurately probed,
                this option provides a hint as to the actual size of
                system memory (which will be tested before use).