Date:      Wed, 12 May 2010 10:50:40 +0300
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openjdk6 crashes

=D3=F4=E9=F2 Tuesday 11 May 2010 22:29:50 =EF/=E7 Peter Palmreuther =DD=E3=
=F1=E1=F8=E5:
> Am 10.05.10 11:46, schrieb Achilleas Mantzios:
> > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 Saturday 08 May 2010 00:21:02 =CE=BF/=CE=B7 Pe=
ter Palmreuther =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5:=20
> > The program causing the panic was periodic daily.
> > For some reason, the same script on the same hardware with the previous=
 6.2 kernel was working ok.
>=20
> *hmmm* OK. I have updated to OpenJDK some time after updating to FreeBSD8=
=2E Bot
> on the other hand my 'assertion' theory still stands: it's there for a de=
fined
> (ugly in consequences but defined!) "way out" and the JVM "goes out" at
> exactly this 'assert'-statement. I still see a software related problem m=
ore
> probable than defect hardware :-)
>=20
> > Anyway
> > Have your tried=20
> > - native jdk=20
>=20
> Nope. Hesitated to compile this one as well. So much work :-/ Guess I'll =
go
> through it and test it.
>=20
> > - the binary diablo=20
>=20
> Not the binary, but a self compiled one. Works. For this issue. But I had
> other issues with it in the past and got the advice to use 'openjdk' as i=
t's
> actively maintained (in opposite to diablo-jdk). Am I wrong?

???? Diablo is binary by definition, what do you mean by "self compiled"?

>=20
> > - the linux jdk with linuxolator
>=20
> WTF? Should I really install and activate a linux emulation layer to get a
> stable running JRE/JDK? Is this advice just for making sure "other JVMs d=
on't
> have this problem" or meant to be a "how to serve JVM on FreeBSD8" advice=
???

1st, to set up linux emulation is 30 seconds work.
2nd, it will not be a stable running JRE
3rd, if you feel so insecure with FreeBSD, then some linux distro maybe cou=
ld save you some further frustrations.

There is nobody here who can help, obviously.
You may do any combination of the below:
=2D submit a PR
=2D See here: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/bsd-port/
=2D try the same openjdk version on linux or OSX, to break down the problem.
=2D if you feel hacker enough, try to solve the problem by yourself and sub=
mit a patch
=2D contact the people who made the port. (apparently they dont read this l=
ist)

=2D-=20
Achilleas Mantzios