Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:41:17 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uhid recently broken

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 21:38:53 EDT, M. Warner Losh scribbled these
curious markings:
> Looks like I have the same device you do.  I'm going to take exception
> to your characterization that a 'recent' commit broke it.  I just
> booted a March 20th, 2004 kernel with uhid compiled into it.  It still
> attached to ugen0.  Luckily the device was only $15 at CompUSA, so I
> went ahead and bought it...

Okay, it's great that it's detected by ugen. Unfortunately, when it attache=
s as=20
ugen, it fails to work with xmess / xmame (and presumably zsnes, though tha=
t=20
crashes right now due to nVidia driver issues), and those three programs ar=
e=20
the primary reasons for why I have this joypad in the first place. Having t=
he=20
driver detect it is great, but it isn't too useful if it can't
communicate with programs that try to access it.

What happens if you boot a kernel from March 20th, 2004 with uhid but witho=
ut=20
ugen? Have you tested the March 20th, 2004 / ugen0 kernel to see if any=20
programs can read input from the device? It's worked fine for me with uhid,=
 but=20
xmame doesn't detect any devices if it attaches as ugen.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--