Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:57:54 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk allocation chunk size (?)

In the last episode (Aug 28), Ronald F. Guilmette said:
> Assume that I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.8 on an x86, straight out of the
> box.  Now assume that I create, on disk, one million files, each one
> byte in length.  Ignoring directory and inode overhead, how much
> space will actually be consumed on disk?
>
> What I'm asking is:  What is the actually allocation chunk size used
> by the ufs file system these days.
>
> Once upon a time, it was 1 KB, then 2KB, then 4KB, and I have no idea
> what it is nowadays.

ffs has two allocation sizes.  The block size is 8KB.  The minimum
allocatable unit on the filesytem is the "frag" size, however, which is
1K by default.  Files smaller than the block size may use one or more
frags instead.

See /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/paper.ascii.gz for more details.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com