Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:12:38 -0700
From:      Brendan Conoboy <synk@swcp.com>
To:        Adidas Boy <binkieboi@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use a Firewall?

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 09:14:34AM -0700, Adidas Boy wrote:

> I have always wondered what does a firewall really do for one? I mean
> why should one have one for their web servers and what kind of protection
> does it give to protect against hackers or what not?
> If i was to install a firewall what types of programs should I
> install?
>
> Any responses would be appreciated. The servers i'm mainly running
> would just be DNS, Web Server, and mail server.

I use a firewall because some network ports I want accessible by
my internal network that I don't want accessed from the external
network (rest of the world).  These include rsh, nfs (plus all its
cohorts) and X11.  It also keeps people from poking the inextinguishable
network ports on windows machines (137-139).

-Brendan (synk@swcp.com)