Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:50:30 -0800
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Greg Quinlan <greg@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slapd (LDAP) Problems

At 01:29 AM 11/18/99 +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>Greg Quinlan wrote:
>>
>> The only difference I can see is that the development of openldap, is as its
>> name suggests, "open." That any modifications to the "core standard product"
>> be publicly shared, and properly documented.

My original thoughts as to using the word "open" in OpenLDAP was to refer
our "open" development process and our "open" use policies.

>> Selling Openldap as a separate product is also NOT allowed.

This is actually not true.  We (the OpenLDAP Foundation) do allow such.
In where this is not allowed by the OPL to which your copy was provided,
we offer (without fee) alternative licensing.  In particular, we authorize
use of OpenLDAP 1.x under the terms of OPL 2.0 (used for development and
future major releases).  OPL 2.0 is quite unrestrictive.

>> Selling support, Selling it as part of another
>> product, Selling installation of it.....etc is permitted.

yes, yes, yes, yes.

>>Essentially your not allowed to steal-it call it your own!!!

OPL 2.0 can be summarized as "don't delete the notice, don't sue us,
don't pretend you are us".

>> This is surely a good thing?
>
>We, people who prefer BSD over GPL, think it is not.

See OPL 2.0.

http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~//LICENSE?rev=1.11