Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:28:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Eric <eric@tek-shop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NIS & wheel/su problems

On 07-Nov-2001 Eric wrote:
> So I'm setting up NIS on our network and it seems like it's working just
> fine. On the master server, I build the maps from the system files and my
> user is part of the wheel group, so I can su. On all the NIS client
> machines, no local users (except root of course) have been set up, so the
> clients wheel group doesn't contain my user, but the NIS wheel group does. I
> use the NIS include symbol at the bottom of the client machines group file.
> Now I can log into these clients fine as myself, but they won't let me su to
> root because the local wheel group is found first, and doesn't include me.
> If I take the wheel group out of the local file, I get errors on bootup.
>
> Is there a way around this?? Is there a way to augment a group with NIS
> users??

I solced this by having myself hardcoded in each /etc/group. Didn't find another
way round it:(

> Also, according to the handbook, I'm supposed to copy my master.passwd file
> into the yp directory, and manually edit it to remove system accounts that
> shouldn't be propagated. But that means everytime I add a user, I have to
> add them to the master server, copy the file, and edit it all over again.
> That seems too roundabout. The other problem with that is users who change
> their password with yppasswd, have their new passwords destroyed when the
> /var/yp/master.passwd is overwritten by the one from /etc. Is there a better
> way to do this, or is it really a big deal to have the system accounts
> appear in NIS. Can I just add, remove, and yppasswd users normally, and have
> NIS use the /etc/master.passwd file so that everything is in sync??

By modifying /var/yp/Makefile it will point at /etc/master.passwd:

:
:
PASSWD    = /etc/passwd
MASTER    = /etc/master.passwd

#PASSWD    = $(YPDIR)/passwd
#.if !defined(MASTER_PASSWD)
#MASTER    = $(YPDIR)/master.passwd
#.else
#MASTER   = $(MASTER_PASSWD)
:
:

After adding users I still have to do a make in /var/yp (or "pw -Y" will do it
for me) but I don't have to copy it no more.

/M