Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:57:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Second attempt] @Home and FreeBSD 4.0.

Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se> writes:

| Did you by any chance install some kind of IP firewall (ipfw, ipfilter)?
| And is so, did you forget to allow passing packets?
|
| It sure looks that way... :-)

Thomas Uhrfelt (thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se) also pointed that out to me, but I
was initially skeptical; I had

        firewall_enable="NO"

in /etc/rc.conf.  But when Thomas asked me to do "ipfw list", there it was in
glowing phosphor:

        gort# ipfw list
        65535 deny ip from any to any
        gort# _

So yes, that was it.  Typing

        gort# ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to any
        gort# ipfw list
        00001 allow ip from any to any
        65535 deny ip from any to any
        gort# _

solved it.  Now I'm upgrading my FreeBSD system from 4.0 to 4.2 (or whatever it
is now), and reading everything I can on natd and ipfw.

Thanks, Thomas and Mikko; I really appreciate it.

                                                        ---Ken