Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:42:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lose use of keyboard when booted with two USB keyboards then removing one

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 15:58 +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm seeing an oddity, which I'm guessing might be a bug in hal, but I
> > don't know yet.  I only see it in GNOME, not on the console.
> >
> > I booted this machine (running 8.0-RC2) with two keyboards plugged in:
> >
> > ugen5.2: <product 0x00db vendor 0x045e> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
> > (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
> > ugen6.3: <product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
> > (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
> >
> > Both keyboards work fine from the console and in GNOME.
> >
> > Now, if I unplug one of the keyboards, the other no longer works.  This
> > is only in GNOME, it still works fine in the console (which I'm guessing
> > rules out the new USB subsystem?)
> >
> > My xorg.conf, the output of "lshal" with both keyboards plugged in and
> > both working, and "lshal" after one keyboard was unplugged and neither
> > work are available at http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/hal-kbd/.
> >
> > (in this case I unplugged the product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e keyboard, and
> > found the other keyboard dead)
> >
> > Please, if you need any more info, let me know, and please keep me cc'd.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with hal per se.  After the ukbd0 device is
> removed, hald continues to report that ukbd1 is available, and is an X11
> kbd device.  I strongly suspect this is an X issue.  When you say that
> you only see this in GNOME, do you mean you've tried other DE/WMs, and
> you do not see the problem there?  What messages do you see in your X
> log when you unplug the keyboard?  What happens if you disable hal, and
> configure input devices statically for X?

Apologies for the long delay in responding to this.

I've now tested this by adding

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"False"
EndSection

to my xorg.conf.  I hope that is the correct way to test, but if it isn't
let me know and I can retest.

Anyway, with the above changes, I can confirm that unplugging one keyboard
does not break the other.  Commenting the above back out and rebooting
reverts to the "removing one keyboard breaks the other".  Does this point
to HAL or X as being the cause?  It turns out it's not limited to Gnome, I
can recreate it with twm too.

It turns out by the way that it does not need to be two USB keyboards for
it to happen. Both laptops I can test this on demonstrate the problem: if
a USB keyboard is unplugged, the internal keyboard will not work until the
external keyboard is plugged back in.  Note that the machine doesn't even
need to be booted with the USB keyboard: it is simply enough to plug an
external keyboard in at any point.  Before it's inserted the internal
keyboard works, on insertion both keyboards work, and on removal the
internal keyboard stops working until it is reinserted.

Can anybody else confirm this?  I have three machines, all running
8-STABLE or HEAD, and all showing the same issue.

Thanks,

Gavin