Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:22:28 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD from RedHat questions, I'm non on list

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 06:59:48PM +1000, Rob B wrote:

[...]
> >4. Freshness: As I watch to see which distribution produces a PHP 4.2.2
> >package or port first, I am curious if you have any guidelines as to how
> >timely port updates (often security fixes) can  be expected. Related: can
> >a new install be built of fresh packages or ports? Need I install the base
> >and then download sources and re-compile?
>
> Ports are different from the base system in that only the comitters can
> update base.  PHP (in your example) is not part of base, so any security
> updates are mostly made by the upstream maintainer, rather than the FreeBSD
> packager.

The general case, however, is that the port-maintainers are pretty
clued up on the ports that they maintain. The port for PHP, as an
example, is at 4.2.2. The caveat here is that you really need to CVSup
your ports tree pretty regularly and run the portupgrade utility.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>