Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2015 15:37:55 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW and Bash

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:14:53 -0400, Carmel NY wrote:
> FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p17
>
> When booting up, this message is displayed:
>
> Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "bash"
> Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "bash"
> Firewall rules loaded.
> Firewall logging enabled.
> ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg /usr/local/lib/compat /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg /usr/local/lib/dovecot
> /usr/local/lib/gcc48 /usr/local/lib/graphviz /usr/local/lib/libxul /usr/local/lib/mysql /usr/local/lib/nss /usr/local/lib/pth /usr/local/lib/qt4 /usr/local/lib
> exec/openldap /usr/local/llvm33/lib /usr/local/llvm34/lib /usr/local/llvm35/lib
> 32-bit compatibility ldconfig path: /usr/lib32 /usr/local/lib32/compat
> Creating and/or trimming log files.
>
> This message only appears if I configured "ipfw"  to load at bootup. Bash;
> however, run just fine. I assume this is a useless warning; however, I would
> like to know why it only occurs if "ipfw" loads.

MY assumption would be: You're running a script with bash (or
you're _trying_ to run a script with bash, maybe instead of sh)
at boot time, at least prior to the state when the dynamic loader
is fully operational. Depending on your configuration, a IPFW
configuration script could be such a script. Do you call /bin/bash
or /usr/local/bin/bash from somewhere within your IPFW config?

After ldconfig has been established, running bash (interactively
or as a scripting shell) should work as expected.

In worst case, you could try to build the statically linked
version of bash. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany