Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:53:25 +0200
From:      Jacques Beigbeder <Jacques.Beigbeder@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS client for Sun NIS server & passwd

I thought it was a FAQ, but I found no answer (except
for the question in an asian foreign language...).

In the following script, the client is FreeBSD 4.2,
the server is Solaris 5.x.

	client-beig > passwd
	Changing NIS password for beig on server.
	Old Password:
	New password:
	Retype new password:
	passwd: failed to change NIS password: RPC: Server can't decode arguments

Using an Ethernet sniffer, I see that the RPC packet from
the client to the server contains the new password coded
with MD5 ($1$Yea....).

Is there a simple solution?

--
Jacques Beigbeder                    |  Jacques.Beigbeder@ens.fr