Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:25:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        evilwolf@cyberdude.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipfw with dial-up

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Dear FreeBSD guys-

>I have FreeBSD 4.0 that I recently got. I wanted to set up the ipfw
 firewall included with it and so I went to your tutorials and
 followed that exactly.

Wrap your lines, please.

[ Seemingly correct kernel & natd config removed ]

[ Ditto lots of hopefully correct firewall rules ]

>Now when I reboot, it the startup messages I see something like
 "interface tun0 doesn't exist". And when I try to connect to the net,
 I can connect but cant send any packets out or recieve any for that
 matter. Am I supposed to replace to reference to "tun0" in rc.conf
 and/or the fwrules with the device name of my modem....? Or what? Got
 any ideas I could try out? Thanks for your help.

Hos do you start "ppp"?  The "tun0" interface does not show up until
ppp opens it, so in order for this to work you have to start ppp
at boot time, for example in "auto" mode.  The system should do this
if you have "ppp_enable=YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

However, does the tutorial really say that you should use natd and
ipfw with a dial-up ppp connection?  The "ppp" program can do NAT
as well as packet filtering.  The filtering is less advanced than
that of ipfw, but adequate as a basic firewall.

Check ppp(8) and /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample.

     $.02,
     /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com