Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:53:55 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: really stupid telnetd question...

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I have looked all over my system for telenetd.  I want to put an
> entry in rc.local to let my friend telent in.  But it seems my
> system cannot find telnetd anywhere.  What have i done wrong?

You put the entry in /etc/inetd.conf, not /etc/rc.local. There should be an
example telnet entry in there already.

Actually, that's wrong. You don't put an entry for telnetd anywhere, you
should use ssh instead. If your friend can't use a ssh client, tell him
he can't access your system.

someone else already told you the way to locate files: use locate(1).
however, that won't work if your system is not switched on all the time, in
which case an equivalent (but much slower) command would be

$ find / | grep telnetd

(that's not quite the same, since find(1) will search filesystems which
locate(1) doesn't, e.g. NFS, but it's close enough.)

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and