Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 13:47:08 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Mark Todd" <eeytmt@nottingham.ac.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Installation Problem

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Mark Todd
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 11:36 AM
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Installation Problem

I am trying to install FreeBSD to run along side Windows NT. The
installation program appears to run without any problems, then informs me
that it will reboot the computer. When the system comes on-line the below
message is displayed. I am unable to find what to do next and would
appreciate any help.

>> FreeBSD/i386      BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

No /kernel

>> FreeBSD/i386      BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

Possibly relevant system information:

IDE1 Primary:    6.8GB Maxtor HDD
IDE1 Secondary:  None
IDE2 Primary:    Mitsumi CR4801
IDE2 Secondary:  Panasonic 40x CD-ROM Drive

Processor:       Cyrix MII-300
Memory:          128MB PC-100
Video Card:      STB 128 (4MB)

The HDD drive contains three partitions: the first is an NTFS partition, the
second is an extended partition(containing 4 partitions) and the third is
the FreeBSD partition.

Sounds like you probably have the root partition of FreeBSD past the 1024th
cylinder of the hard drive.  If you boot from a floppy and then mount the
hard drive and run fdisk it will tell you for sure.  The FAQ has some info
about this for you.  www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html

This is a pretty common question on the list, too.  I don't follow this
thread too closely so there may be other issues as well, but I bet the
archives are full of useful info as well.

Josh