Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:21:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jonas@netwood.net (Jonas Fornander)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG ('FreeBSD LIST')
Subject:   Re: Running out of swap space?????

> I installed 4.7 on a 233MHz with 64MB of RAM. I then added the following
> packages:
> Apache2, mySQL, webmin, awstats and Cistron radius.
>
> Now boot up hangs when it starts local packages with the following
> error:
>
> Nov 15 00:36:53 clarabel /kernel: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> Nov 15 00:40:53 clarabel /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> Nov 15 00:40:53 clarabel /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
> Nov 15 00:40:53 clarabel /kernel: pid 108 (radiusd), uid 0, was killed:
> out of swap space
>
> I have removed most packages but it still hangs on the swap_pager error.
> The swap space is 128MB and none is used according to top.

I don't know about what TOP is telling you about use, but 128MB is
way way small for swap space on a modern machine.  As a rule of
thumb, I try to have 2 1/2 time memory size for swap space.   Swap
space is used for paging as well as swap.  Just the act of loading up
some big think can burn up a lot of space temporarily, even if it
doesn't continue to use it.

////jerry