Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:26:06 -0700
From:      "David G. Lawrence" <dg@dglawrence.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE removal patch for testing

> Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > At 04:51 PM 25/08/2003 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> >
> > >Right now, anyone who is experiencing problems should definitely try that
> > >short patch which Mike Tancsa said works for him and confirm whether or
> > >not it fixes the issue on their system.
> >
> > The 2 servers I am running it on both have been stable since applying it.
> > ns4% uptime
> >   9:58PM  up 2 days,  4:27, 2 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.03, 0.05
> > ns4%
> >
> > would have rebooted several times by now.  The other machine is also
> > stable.  Both are quite busy mail routers. One also runs spamassassin via a
> > milter.
>
> This change matches -current and should probably be committed ASAP.

   I've reviewed it as well and it definitely is a bug that needs to be fixed
ASAP. Basically, the pmap_remove code in -stable doesn't handle the case of
crossing a page table boundry properly. If the next page table page isn't
currently mapped, then the kernel will [fatally] fault when trying to access
it.

-DG

David G. Lawrence
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.