Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:06:19 +0200
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba on 4.10

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 08:39:17AM -0400, William Woods wrote:
> Can some one point me in the right direction for setting up a simple Samba
> sever for a home network. It sits snugly behind a FreeBSD firewall So I am
> not terribly concerned with security for the Samba server. Basically The
> setup I want is to have all my windows system be able to write to a
> /usr/samba file system I set up.

You might consider installing samba from ports and then edit the
example /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.default as smb.conf.
It usually comes with some good example entries that imho are
easy to understand and tweak according to your likening.
=> cd /usr/ports/net/samba (for 2.2.9)
   cd /usr/ports/net/samba-devel (for 3.0.4)
   make package

Then have a look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh, ie rename
samba.sh.sample to samba.sh so samba will be started on system boot.

man smb.conf
man smbd
man nmbd

are also quite helpful.