Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 10:41:09 +0200
From:      "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw@withagen.nl>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vinum, dump and amanda

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
> > I hoped to get some cores, but every time the box tells me:
> >     dumping 96M (being the memory size)
> >     its reseting the ata stuff
> > and then hangs.....
> > pressing keys gives me some [ctrl-C....], ....
>
> It would be nice to have more accurate information here.  If you can't
> get a dump (how are you trying?), try getting a backtrace from ddb.
> Just enter 't' and write down what it outputs (or log it if you're
> running a serial console).

I'm trying to get a dump, by telling it to panic once it gets into the
debugger.
I'll try and hook two servers together, and get that working...

> > but after a while it just reboots.
> > Should it be displaying info while dumping the kernel and stuff???
>
> Yes, it should count down from 96 in steps of 16.

That's what I expected it to do, but it doesn't. I've set dumpon to dump the
kernel to the swap of the boot IDE disk. It's not really a fast disk, but
should be able to write 16meg per minute???

> The more important question: Anybody having the same problems?
>
> Who knows?  You need to report more of what is happening.  I've given
> you details of what I need already.

And it looks like last nights amanda run did not crash in dump, although the
tape was not big enough....
So I'll retry running it against /dev/null and see what that does...
No use in chasing after an event I cannot reproduce.

--WjW