Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:05:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Slade Edmonds <slade@smipc.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No disks found!

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Slade Edmonds wrote:

> When using sysinstall to label a disk that has been recognized by the
> system (verified via dmesg) I get the message "No Disks Found!"  I
> have done some reading and folks have found this to be a problem after
> upgrading a machine and being left with an old sysinstall.  Their fix
> was to simply upgrade the sysinstall program.  This machine is a fresh
> install of 4.1.1.  I went ahead and recompiled to get the sysinstall
> binary anyway but of course it didn't work.  Any ideas what is going
> on?

I had this problem after an upgrade in which the disk naming scheme went
from wdX to adX.  In my case, upgrading sysinstall fixed the problem.  I
don't have any idea why that doesn't work for you, but the root problem is
probably that sysinstall isn't looking for the same type of disks as your
kernel is configured for--sysinstall looking for wd0, when the kernel is
using ad0, or vice versa.

Ken