Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:26:56 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apple moving to x86

On June 8, 2005 02:24 pm, Nicole wrote:
> On 07-Jun-05 My Homeland Security "observers" reported that Erich
> Dollansky said:
> > Claus Guttesen wrote:
> >> on the ongoing work with FreeBSD. As most know by now Apple will base
> >> it's next-generation hardware on the x86-architecture moving away
> >> from the PowerPC.

>  It seems a shame that they could not have at least gone with AMD
> processors instead of Intel. No matter how closely they are tied to IBM.

Apple has always been about the platform.  They like to control as much of
the computing experience as possible.  In a way, it makes sense to go with
Intel, as Intel is on way to "platformisation", where they don't just sell
CPUs, but a CPU + chipset + I/O (wireless, ethernet, audio, video) in a
single package.  Look at the Centrino branding, and how they want to bring
something similar over to the desktop.  So, Apple could start with laptops
based around some form of Centrino.  That way, they only have 1 source for
CPU/chipset/IO needs, and can make sure that their software definitely
works on that hardware.  Limit the choices, improve the software
experience.

Will the go with the existing Centrino/PentiumM that is only 32-bit?
Maybe, since their existing laptops (G4-based) are 32-bit.  Or, will Intel
be ready with the next Centrino/PentiumM that includes EM64T support by
the time Apple wants to release the first laptop?  Who knows, there's
still a year before the first Apple computer with Intel Inside is
available.

If they went with AMD processors, then they would have to either build or
find someone to build a chipset.  Then they would have to either build or
find someone to build a motherboard around that.  And so on.  Too many
partners, too many variables, too many people to wait for.  Intel can whip
up everything they need, which means they can focus on the software.  It's
not like Intel is going to up and disappear next year.  :)

Ars Technica has a couple of very intriguing articles on this subject, and
they make a lot of sense.

--
Freddie Cash, CLCP CNCP            Network Support / Helpdesk
School District 73                 (250) 377-4357