Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:47:17 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dual-band AR5414 card test-run on stable/8 and head

On 20 January 2015 at 20:03, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Recently I've purchased few assorted ARxxxx-based wireless cards.  Original
> plan was to replace 2200BG Intel of mine (it's not really stable and driver
> does not support frame injection), but this goal had failed: my new awesome
> (and quite expensive) industry-grade 9220-based dual-band card was too tall
> for my laptop's miniPCI bay and had MMCX antenna plugs rather than U.FL. :(
>
> So I was only left to play with AR5414 2.4GHz/5GHz (per specs from the shop)
> card; looks like it is Askey WLL4070-D50.
>
> After doing "ifconfig ath0" (on stable/8, this loads ath.ko):
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5413> mem 0xb0110000-0xb011ffff irq 17 at device 8.0 on pci6
> ath0: [ITHREAD]
> ath0: AR5413 mac 10.5 RF5413 phy 6.1
>
> .. and "kldload ath_pci" on head (r277422, ifconfig(8) alone does not DTRT):
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5413> mem 0xb0110000-0xb011ffff irq 17 at device 8.0 on pci6
> ath0: AR5413 mac 10.5 RF5413 phy 6.1
> ath0: 2GHz radio: 0x0000; 5GHz radio: 0x0063
>
> Per `pciconf -lv`, it's class=0x020000 card=0x132910cf chip=0x001b168c
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 network ethernet, by Atheros Communications Inc.  Device
> string differs between stable/8 (AR5006 family 802.11abg Wireless NIC) and
> head (AR5413/AR5414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5006X(S) 802.11abg]).
>
> Now, here's my quest.  I first tried to use it under stable/8 (which is my
> every-day working system).  Apparently it could connect to the access point
> and obtained DHCP lease, but I could not ping even the gateway (and thus
> anything outside).  I've also noticed two things:

No idea why it doesn't work on stable/8. That's odd. It should work just fine.

> 1). WiFi LED is always on, immediately once I press the power button (before
> FreeBSD gets to boot).  With 2200BG, it was actually correctly reflecting
> network activity.  Any chance it can be fixed to work with Atheros card(s)?
> This applies to both stable/8 and head.  The LED goes off only when laptop
> is switched off or put to suspend (S3).

It's likely hooked up to a GPIO pin that's hooked up to the mini-PCI
slot. You can check the, say, 6 GPIOs to see if any do anything with
the LED:

sysctl dev.ath.0.ledpin=<x> (0, 1, 2, 3 .. 5)
sysctl dev.ath.0.ledon=<1 | 0 - ie, the LED polarity>
sysctl dev.ath.0.softled=1

Toggle softled 0 -> 1 each time you change ledpin, just to make sure
the programming takes.

> 2). I have "WiFi radio on/off" button on the keyboard (Fn-F2) which seems
> to work with both cards, Intel and Askey.  There is a difference, however:
> with iwi(4), there are "radio turned off/on" messages in dmesg, but nothing
> alike with ath(4).  Since LED stays always on, it is impossible to easily
> tell at which state is the card at any given moment.

It's also likely a GPIO pin. rfkill is something I haven't played with
all that much and I don't know if we have the ath(4) rfkill stuff
plumbed into the userland in some useful fashion for the driver to
tell you what's going on.

> On -CURRENT, modulo that I had to "kldload ath_pci" instead of just saying
> "ifconfig ath0", it works quite well.  I could connect to the office WiFi
> (at 2.4GHz, probably because the access point doesn't support or offer 5GHz
> radio), and finally I could ssh wirelessly and has the same responsiveness
> as on copper (previously, with 2200BG, it was pretty laggy, bad enough for
> typing anything become a real PITA).  Too bad I cannot stay on -CURRENT for
> too long due to broken suspend/resume cycle.

What's broken with suspend/resume? That should be fixed.

> TL;DR: the card works on head, but not on stable/8; any revisions I should
> take a look at, test, and ask for MFC if all goes well?  What about always-
> on LED, can it be controlled?  Does ath(4) expects anything from e.g. ACPI
> to be able to do so?

I've no idea about what or why it broke on stable/8 but isn't on
-HEAD. I've done some prettty significant surgery to ath and net80211
since stable/8. You can try narrowing it down by trying stable/9 and
stable/10 to see if it started working during one of those releases.
That'll narrow down the revisions to bisect.

> I will probably continue to buy more of ath(4) cards to see how well they
> behave. :-)

Woo!

-a