Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:02:07 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Shoulders <dhs@bendcable.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer

--XUd+PsnCfaVdInSg

Please don't destroy the message sequence.

On Friday, 22 July 2005 at 21:17:16 -0700, David Shoulders wrote:
> On Friday 22 July 2005 19:04, you wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 July 2005 at 18:18:53 -0700, David Shoulders wrote:
>>> Can you tell me the current status of the mplayer port?
>>
>> Active.
>
> Sorry, I assumed there was a well-known problem, so I didn't give you any
> specifics.  I was referring to the fact that there is no mplayer package in
> <ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.11-release/Latest/>;
> (I'm running 4.11), nor in
> <ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/multimedia/>,
> nor in
> <ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/Latest/>,
> etc.
>
> The kplayer package is also missing, so I assumed there was some problem with
> the build or the mplayer project.

For reasons I don't understand, the ftp site doesn't contain all
packages.  You should be able to install it from the port:

  # cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
  # make install

It's a pig to use, unfortunately.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/videorecorder/packages.html for some
observations.  If you find something there with which you disagree, or
which is incomplete, please let me know.

Greg
The virus once contained in this message has lost interest in life,
shrivelled up and died.  LEMIS anti-virus has given it an appropriate
burial.
For further details see http://www.lemis.com/grog/lemis-virus.html

Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

--XUd+PsnCfaVdInSg