Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:17:50 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account) wrote:

> > True but speaking about AMD, PIII and the likes, where does the
> > Xeon fit in?
>
> Remember way back in the Pentium days? The Pentium Pro was a great CPU for
> 32bit OS's (WinNT, FreeBSD, OS/2 to name a few) but it sucked big time
> running Win95. As far as I know the Xeon is a progression on that family of
> CPU's - server orientated and reasonably well peforming under 32bit OS.
> But the key question in everybodys mind is bang for your buck - guess what
> this will bring me right back to the Athlon!

	I was testing distributed.net dnet rc5 client on various machines
and for some reason, the Pentium Pro 166 seemed to be slower than the
Pentium 90 which already seemed slow.  I guess Intel has just been around
longer so more people just trust it but ofcourse, if something is better,
faster and works equally as well, then people will move right to the
Athlon!

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin