Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 07:56:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Fleck <david.fleck@mchsi.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with amd (automount daemon)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> I've got a problem with amd. This is the error I get when I access my CD-ROM
> drive at /mnt/cdrom/:
>
> /host/localhost/cdrom: mount (amfs_auto_cont): Operation not permitted

Some basic configuration-type questions:

Is amd running, and with what arguments?  What does your /etc/amd.conf
file look like?  Are portmap and nfsiod running?

Also, I've found that at least some CD audio playing programs, like ascd,
will hang onto the cd device even when they aren't playing and there's no
audio CD in the tray.  If I try to access a data CD after playing an audio
CD, I will get the error you see unless I kill the CD-playing program.

Do an 'fstat /dev/{CD_device_name}' and see if something is hanging onto
the cd.  For my system that's

fstat /dev/racd0c

--
David Fleck