Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:34:33 -0500
From:      Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>
To:        newbie@XFree86.Org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with sysmouse protocol or XFree86 4.0

I've just done a from-scratch reinstallation of FreeBSD 4.3 with
XFree86 4.0.2 on a Sony Vaio laptop with an ALPS glidepoint
touchpad.  (I don't know how much of this is relevant.)  If I run
"moused -3 -p /dev/psm0" the mouse works find in the system console
mode.  But then using the following mouse definitions in XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver
    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "SysMouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection
# ...
Section "ServerLayout"
# The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

I diagnose the following problem with the help of xev: ButtonRelease
events are not being received until the next ButtonPress or
MotionNotify event.

If I kill moused and run the server as 'XFree86 -layout "Raw Mouse Device"'
with the following sections added to XF86Config, everything works
great, including taps on the touchpad being interpretted as button 1:

Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psm0"
# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "100"
EndSection
# ...
Section "ServerLayout"
# The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier  "Raw Mouse Device"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

So I don't know if this is a problem in moused or in X ..