Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:56:59 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1042606619.547d08@mired.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Darren <caffeine@directvinternet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel won't compile

In <20030109202829.GB2021@gothmog.gr>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> typed:
> On 2003-01-09 11:29, Darren <caffeine@directvinternet.com> wrote:
> > I have successfully compiled a new kernel once already on a new
> > install of FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.  Since then, I have run cvsup and
> > portupgrade.  Now, I need to recompile the kernel again.  But, I'm
> > running into errors.  I have been following the handbook.  But,
> > apparently, I'm missing something.  The way I understand the manual,
> > you use the first method of "config CUSTOM_KERNEL" and if you have
> > updated the kernel sources, you have to use the second method of
> > "make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL".
> Don't use the "config .. make depend" method.

More accurately, you only use the "config ... make depend" method when
the running system and kernel match the sources you are trying to
build. After changing the config file, for instance. If you only
build the kernel when you're updating the system, you should never use
the "config ... make depend" method.

	<mike