Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:13:00 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

> "is freebsd better than linux" kind of question is perfectly legitimate.

"Is FreeBSD more suitible as a desktop system with
a 200mHz pentium-pro and a 4 gigabyte hard-drive
than windows 3.11 on dos 6.22 on vmware on top
of Solaris 10?" is perfectly legitimate.
"Is FreeBSD better than Slackware?" is legitimate.
"Is FreeBSD better than a generic kernel stuck onto
an unknown useland being packaged by a 14-year-old
AOL subscriber?" is probably legitimate.
"Is FreeBSD better than *?" is not.

> If we as the FreeBSD community cannot answer that question, then why
> are we wasting our time with it?

I think this is a false dichotomy.  Either that or I'm going to
die tomorrow.