Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:34:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'mertis@ameritech.net'" <mertis@ameritech.net>
Subject:   RE: Filesystem

Zaitsau, Andrei <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com> types:
> Thanks for your help.
> The System is going to be DSL Router/Gateway. It's 486 machine. But also I
> need to place sources in order to compile kernel.

Ok, you've just shot down the need for /home. If the gateway
functionality isn't going to include anything that requires queuing to
local disk (like an SMTP server) or generates lots of log activity,
one big file system is perfectly reasonable. If you have one of the
latter two cases, you might want to give /var a large chunk of space
(how big depends on how much) to make / mostly static. This allows you
to have different backup policies for / and /var.

	<mike