Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:13:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nicholas Wright <nick@ist.co.uk>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, meshko@cs.brandeis.edu
Cc:        mcclain@looneys.net, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

<BlowingOwnTrumpet noShame="true">

Check out Visaj.  Visaj is a 100% Pure Java GUI editor tool which supports
AWT/Swing and J2SE, and provides Layout Editors for all the Java layouts.
An evaluation copy can be freely downloaded at http://www.visaj.com/.
Being solely a GUI editor, the entire package comes in at just under 4MB.

<product>
	<name>Visaj</name>
	<version>2.5.2</version>
	<platformSupported>FreeBSD</platformSupported>
	<platformSupported>Linux</platformSupported>
	<platformSupported>*nix</platformSupported>
	<platformSupported>Windows</platformSupported>
</product>

</BlowingOwnTrumpet>

Sorry about the xML - been working on XML and Schemas recently.

Nicholas

> > | all the editors you mentioned would be incredibly slow on a system of
your
> > | specifications.  if you need all the bells and whistles, you may just
have to
> > | settle for slow.  if you don't need bells and whistles, you can use a
> > | combination of gvim, ctags and ant.  I have used this system to great
effect
> > | over the years.
> >
> > I use gvim and ctags (somewhat) but I don't know much about ant.  It
> > is like the java version of 'make' correct?
> >
> > How do you design GUIs?  I guess that's the biggest reason i like the
> > IDEs.  For C/C++ i only use gvim/xemacs.
>
> Generally it is a very bad idea to create Java GUIs with automatic GUI
> editors.

Nicholas Wright    Imperial Software Technology    Senior Software Engineer
Email : nick@ist.co.uk or support@ist.co.uk
Kings Court                            120 Hawthorne Ave, #101
185 Kings Road                         Palo Alto
Reading RG1 4EX United Kingdom         California 94301 USA
Tel: +44 118 958 7055                  Tel: 650 688 0200
FAX: +44 118 958 9005                  FAX: 650 688 1054