Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:35:13 +0200
From:      "Vladislav V. Zhuk" <admin@dru.dn.ua>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA errors

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:34:09AM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> >Can anybody explain what has happened here?  My machine seems to be
> >functioning normally.
> >
> >ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> >ata0: resetting devices .. ata0-slave: ATA identify retries exceeded
> >done
>
> This is almost always the sign of a bad cable, but it can also be the
> logic board on the drive dying (though much rarer).  Check your cables.
>  Better yet, go to your local hardware store and buy a new ATA/100-spec
> cable, flat, not rounded, preferably with pull-loops.

I don't think like you.
I check my hardware and I consider that problem in new ATA driver.
Under FreeBSD 4.1.1 my hardware work excellent.
After 4.5 release I get more troubles with IDE devices.
Some bugs was fixed and now (under 4.7s) I have no problem
with IDE HDD (even softupdates work).

After reboot my system work excellent 2-5 days, than I get
"read timeout" problem with my CDROM and all system hang.

I wrote about that troubles with ATA, but not get answer...

Who have problem with ATA driver - write here about this
and show /var/run/dmesg. Maybe we discover some dependences
where trouble appeared....

--
Vladislav V. Zhuk (06267)3-60-03  admin@dru.dn.ua  2:465/197@FidoNet.org