Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:24:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3

> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> How does one upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3 and keep all
> config files and all installed ports etc... Or is the
> only way to do this simply to install 4.3 from scratch
> and thus loose everything done with 4.2. I have looked
> in the documentation but can't seem to find a
> definitive answer to this question. Thanks in advance
> for your help.

Use cvsup. If you want to go to 4.3-Release, I believe a tag of
RELENG_4_3 will get you 4.3-Release with any subsequent
security patches added.

Read /usr/src/UPDATING!

Also, read the handbook section 20.3, "Synchronizing You Source".

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)