Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:46:58 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NAT and dial-up user-ppp

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 09:23:53PM -0500, David J. Kanter wrote:
> I'm confused as to whether NAT is useful for a single desktop computer that
> uses a modem to dial into an ISP. Is it?

Not really.

> My impression is that if this computer served as a gateway for other
> computers then yes, NAT would be a good thing. But NAT doesn't do anything
> for the actual machine that dials in, right? Or, could I use NAT and

This is correct.

> I'm confused...don't I get the IP address of whichever modem I dial into?

You usually get a dynamically assigned IP address. This will be used
as *your* address (it's not the address of the access server you are
dialing into).

NAT is useful when you have more than one computer at home and still
want to use that single IP address allocated to you.

-- Nimrod