Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:37:14 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

In message <199904132245.SAA93415@misha.cisco.com>, Mikhail Teterin writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp once wrote:

>Well, this is just an implementation detail, is not it? I don't
>mean to critisize, or anything, but such thing as "no available
>memory" is a fairly intuitive... Coming down, again, the malloc
>should return a usable memory if available and NULL if it's not.
>Is not this a "natural" semantics? Why can a program die because
>_another_ program ate up all the rest of the memory?

You know, this strikes me about as productive a discussion as the
"split infinitive should be outlawed by style(9)" we have every
so often.

Very very fundamental to UNIX philosophy is the maxim that it is
roots responsibility to configure the system right.

FreeBSD will defend itself against misconfigurations as best it
can, this includes shooting processes down when things get too
squeezy.

Think of it as self-defence.

The real problem is that you system isn't configured for what you
use it for.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!