Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:25:31 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Fernando Pinguelo <pinguelo@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Frustration

Fernando Pinguelo wrote:

>I am writing to you because I need to vent. I have tried installing version 5.3 of FreeBSD on a Pentium III machine. I thought I succeeded in doing it so, but when I tried to build xOrg I realized that I did not have all the ports installed and that some other dependencies were also missing. I realized then that the installation had not been as successful as I first thought.
>So, I tried to re-install the ports from the CD, since I didn't have an Internet connection to that machine. Well, I kept getting more and more hardware/software errors. I then tried to upgrade FreeBSD to version 6.1. And that was what I did; I tried.
>
>Well, I kept getting more errors, as usual. The more I tried to install/reinstall/upgrade/fix FreeBSD, the more I was realizing that anything that had to do with FreeBSD that could go wrond would go wrong, be it the software installation or hardware behavior. The amount of work and headache that I have been experiencing to move a single 'inch' towards a working Unix environment has been enourmously frustating. The worst part of it all is that I have not accomplished anything tangible at all.
>
>I think now it is time for this boy to abandon the 'Unix' bandwagon for good and move back to MS Windows. At least I will be able to concentrate on doing real productive work, instead of dealing with temperamental hardware and software every time I touch the PC.
>
>Good luck to those heroic individuals who stick with the configuration fight to the end. I failed to see the 'Power to Serve'.

Congratulations!  You have found FreeBSD's built-in intelligence test
feature.  If you don't have the intelligence to email this list for help
*while* you are having the problems, then you win the right to be stuck
with Windows for ever.  Enjoy!

Average time to install FreeBSD (~7 installs in last 12 months): 30
minutes or less

Average time to install MS Windows (1 install in last 12 months): at
least 4 hours; required me to copy drivers from a CD to a floppy;
required megabytes of fixes despite being the most recent release;
nearly had catch 22 where ethernet wouldn't work without update, but
update couldn't be obtained without ethernet.  Joy.

--Alex