Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:00:37 -0400
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mailman in a jail

Hello,

> On Apr 21, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 04/21/16 16:21, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>> I'm trying to get Mailman working in a 10.3 amd64 jail. Everything
>> works, except Mailman doesn't talk to Postfix. Incoming mail works and
>> posts to the list's archives but no outgoing email is sent. I asked in
>> the Mailman list and they seem to think it's related to running in a jail=
.
>>=20
>> If anyone's gotten this running in a jail I'd appreciate some input. I'm
>> not married to Postfix - willing to use a different MTA.
>=20
> Does mailman try and communicate with postfix over a network socket
> bound to the loopback address?

Not sure. I've never used it before but I've been tasked with converting a f=
lat list of 5000+ email addresses into a mailing list. What I know is the co=
nnection fails and it's not even logged in /var/log/maillog. I've confirmed t=
hat Postfix can send from the command line (using the "mail" command) and re=
ceive, and it logs correctly. I assume the attempt isn't reaching Postfix or=
 it'd be logged.=20

>=20
> That's a common gotcha in jails.  There isn't an accessible loopback
> address in a jail[*], but the kernel intercepts connection attempts and
> redirects things via the jail's primary address.  So an application that
> tries to bind to 127.0.0.1 ends up binding to 192.0.2.1 or whatever the
> jail address is.  Most of the time you'll get away with this.  However
> some more security aware applications (like postfix) realise something
> dodgy is going on and refuse to play.
>=20
> The answer is basically to configure mailman to talk to postfix by the
> jail's IP explicitly.

Tried that. No joy. The setup is a bit more complex, however. It's a front e=
nd server which mainly serves as an SSL termination point, cache, and revers=
e proxy to multiple backend servers which are not web accessible. I'm using P=
F to forward SMTP connections directly to the jail IP which is on em0 on thi=
s particular backend server. I may bite the bullet and try it out outside a j=
ail, but would rather not.=20

>=20
> [*] Unless you're using VIMAGE jails, but that's a topic for another day..=
.
>=20

Indeed. Not sure I'm willing to invest time getting that working at the comp=
ensation I'm getting which is exactly zero. It's for a non-profit at which I=
 volunteer my time and know how.=20

Thanks,

Jim=