Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Leonard Ong <Leonard_Ong@iname.com>
Cc:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Configuration (was RE: Naughty Shell)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Leonard Ong wrote:

> I was trying to compile smaller and customized kernel for my system.  I
> manage to read the handbook and the docs.  I can compile but i have several
> questions to ask :
>
> 1) Is there no config script like in linux that ask you this or that option
> rather than you have to comment or add lines by yourself ?

Nope, none that's distributed with the system, but I've sen those scripts
and they are _ugly_, so I'm glad I have a file to hack instead of one of
those silly scripts that don't let you back up.

> 2) Where can i find complete kernel configuration ? Handbook said it is too
> broad

The file /sys/i386/conf/LINT lists all options.

> 3) I compiled APM but when i tried to execute APM it said can't open
> /dev/apm. Why ?

Did it report a reason?  Try doing

/dev/MAKEDEV apm

the 'all' target doesn't build apm.  Also, don't get too happy with
'MAKEDEV all', in older versions it would basically kill the system by
deleting device nodes for disks you were using.