Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2018 09:14:43 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: CFT: TRIM Consolodation on UFS/FFS filesystems

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 05:27:43PM -0700, Kirk McKusick wrote:

> Assuming that /dev/mmcsd0s2a is your /usr then when the filesystem

Sorry, the mistake was mine. /dev/mmcsd0s2a was / in that attempt,
which obviously can't work.

Moving a bootable August 2nd snapshot microSD card to a USB adapter allowed
root@www:/ # tunefs -t enable /dev/da2s2a
tunefs: issue TRIM to the disk set

When I remount the device with
 mount -o rw /dev/da2s2a /mnt
the console reports
 WARNING: /mnt: TRIM flag on fs but disk does not support TRIM
I hope that's a consequence of the intervening USB interface.

I'll swap boot devices when the present buildworld completes and
see if the tunefs command really worked. If it did, then it'll
make sense to update and rebuild to a TRIM-enabled revision.

That'll take a couple of days, even if I don't make any mistakes..

Sandisk has yet to clarify whether TRIM is supported on microSD.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska